Thursday, September 13, 2012

My First Public Event
 
 
A few weeks ago a friend and blog reader (can I say blog fan without sounding full of myself?) asked me if I wanted to participate in a fundraiser where I would be raffled off.  I should clarify, my services would be raffled off.  Gosh-either way that makes me sound like a gigolo but I digress....
 
So, I was invited to participate in an event supporting Assemblywoman Grace Meng who is campaigning for Congress and I contributed my baked goods.  I made two desserts that I had never done before and planned for a couple of weeks before the big day.  It may not sound responsible to try something I'd never made (or eaten) for someone else's planned event, but I am starting to grow some solid confidence in the baking arena and went ahead with making Slider Cupcakes (cupcakes that look like mini-burgers) and Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Cupcakes. The desserts were a success and a hit amongst the guests.  The sliders themselves stood out due to the "how fun" nature of them.  (The recipes will be posted at another date.)
 
The gathering for Grace Meng, who (along with her charming husband) was a joy to get to meet, was held at The Vault at Pfaffs which I must say is one of my new favorite places in the city  only a single visit.  I will most definitely be going back and telling all my friends and business associates about this classy, inviting watering hole.  With a great feel inside, friendly staff and a cool history (check out the website ), I recommend you all check it out when in the N Y C.  A special shout out has to go to Michael Matzo at "The Vault" (who actually plated my stuff--quite beautifully, I must say).  I'm embarrassed that I don't know if he is a GM, owner, partner or even there to work off a bar tab.  Regardless, he was helpful and pleasant and you could just tell was putting his all into making sure the experience at the establishment was an enjoyable one for people attending this event and the patrons of the updated "trysting place of the most careless, witty, and jovial spirits of New York".
 
I really enjoyed this whole new page in my kitchen endeavors.  From the moment I started brainstorming through walking out knowing I actually got bid on at the auction!
 
**Thanks GieFaan for thinking of me and giving me the opportunity to take another step forward with myself.
 
 
 


No comments: