Friday, June 22, 2012

Very Berry Lemonade Martini



Verdict: Success
Neighbor-worthy


Okay, I admit that this one is not one my impressive "make it my own" recipes but still...It is probably just like a smoothie with booze but I can't have bananas (allergic) and, as they are usually a staple, I skip 'em. Regardless of the level of ingenuity, I made a great frickin' drink. 

I took an interesting recipe for a chilled berry lemonade and made it GAY friendly for this weekend's festivities (NYC GAY PRIDE) by making it a martini.  A little fun, gay tweak never hurt anyone--except the phobes who can just go ahead and skip the martini element here. You people can chill out (see what I did there? It's a chilled drink). You can get your alcohol with church wine when we're at the parade Sunday anyway.) 

This recipe is intended for people that are gonna power through PRIDE while staying upright (meaning they can have multiple without ruining themselves). PRIDE is an endurance challenge usually lost by amateurs (much like St Patrick's Day).  Slow and steady like the Turtle vs the Hare.  We all know who comes out (again, see what I did there?) victorious there.


Ingredients (for a moderate drink):
1 (12-oz) bag unsweetened frozen frozen mixed berries, thawed
1 (12-oz) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed and 1/2 juice drained.
1 cup vanilla simple syrup (recipe follows)
3 cups water 2 cups water
Ice
+ 1/2 shot vodka chilled (PER DRINK)
+ 1/4 shot dry vermouth chilled (PER DRINK)
+ lemon for a twist (optional--for flare)

Vanilla Simple Syrup:
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 vanilla bean, cut lengthwise, seeds removed, pod reserved


Heat a small saucepan over Medium-high  heat and combine water, sugar, vanilla seeds and the stalk (pod).  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer.  Stir occasionally as you cook it until the sugar has dissolved.  Take off the heat and allow the syrup to cool.  Strain before using and remove the pod.
Add your berries, lemonade and syrup into a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour the mixture into a large pitcher.  *Add the (other) water and stir.  Throw the pitcher into the fridge and chill for at least an hr.  Add your liquor and mix into a different pitcher (or bowl or whatever for you Manhattanites with no room for pitchers) so you can meter out the liquor/mix ratio and reserve mix for the next round.  Mix well.  Pour the drink into a martini glass (or a lidded cup if you're making a "roadie") and indulge.

I did this recipe for 4 drinks.  To do the same, measure out 2 cups mix and add 2 shots of Vodka and 1 shot vermouth.

*SPECIAL NOTE:  I screwed up---I rushed.  I think I was too excited to try something out of my comfort zone.  I added the water to the blender.  If you do the same you will have to reduce the H2O by a cup and half the juice of the mixed berry bag to fit everything into blender.

Notes: 
Drink responsibly.  I was being responsible with my recommended amounts above...we are doing our trial run (Friday night) with much more booze in it.  Tonight I'm the Hare and I am not in a marathon. 
This is a sweet drink, but it was intended to be as per the original recipe.

Tweaks:
I added alcohol.
I helped a drink that was already fruity (see what I did there?) come out of the closet for GAY PRIDE.
I got rid of the ice as it's chilled anyhow and it gets in the way of the drink.
I reduced some juice and water from recipe.


Have comments?  I'd love if you left them here. 
Have recipes you want me to try out or butcher?  Send them to me at themaniccheater@gmail.com 

No comments: