Friday, July 6, 2012

Jalapeño Margaritas


Verdict: Success
Neighbor-worthy

This one is pretty straight forward with limited changes as I was too stressed from this ridiculous heat to cook and there is not too much you can tweak or cheat with a drink recipe.  Well, that's a lie....you could cut corners and reduce the time by buying flavored tequila and using margarita mix but, c'mon...are you really in that much of a hurry for your drink?     Ok, me too....so have a shot while you wait.

PRE-note.  This one is for pepper lovers.  If you are not a fan of jalapeño, DO NOT make this.  Us cool kids that do are gonna hang (and drink) over in the corner.


This recipe makes four glasses of summer relief.  (We have HUGE Marg glasses, so I made 2 big ones)
Ingredients:
jalapeño seeded and sliced
1 1/4 cup tequila silver tequila (I used Petron)
1/2 cup lime juice
sugar
coarse salt
3 tablespoons orange-flavored liquor (triple sec)
superfine sugar  (I don't know what the hell that means, but my regular sugar is pretty super enough)
cilantro (for garnish)  *Don't waste your time and money.  I happen to have some from a recent meal.
+ cayenne pepper
Mix the jalapeño and the tequila in a glass and let stand for an hour.  Rub the rim of your glasses with lime juice and set aside for garnish.  Pour sugar and salt plus a pinch of cayenne onto a plate and mix up.  Dip the rims f your margarita glasses into the salt mixture to coat the wet ring.  Fill the glasses with ice.

Combine the tequila, lime juice, triple sec and (superfine, pfft) sugar into a cocktail shaker. Shake and pour.  *Garnish with cilantro.  

If it's a weekend, repeat all steps.

Notes: I get the irony that I was complaining about the heat and picked a picante drink...but they are totally different heats.  One I love, the other I loathe.
Tweaks:
Not really a tweak....maybe just a bossy suggestion to use a good, clear tequila.
I LOVE hot things, so I used 2 jalapeños...came out H O T.  So good.
I have no idea what the original recipe meant by "superfine" sugar...regular ole sugar is fine enough for me.


Comments? Complaints Praise? Recipes to share?  e-mail me: themaniccheater@gmail.com.

No comments: