Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bloody Mary Burgers


Verdict: Success
Neighbor-worthy

I had my first Bloody Mary not all that long ago (like 4 years or so ago).  It was with my cousins Dana and Ignacio and their 2 kids (Nico and Naia) at a Santa Breakfast at my parents' country club.  I love spending time with all of my cousins' kids, but this time was extra special and not 'cause they were at that age where they were so cute you wish there was a shot that would keep 'em that age forever, but because their event brought me to my now favorite brunch drink.

I love trying to incorporate multiple favorites into one recipe (see my Margarita Cheesecake) and when I heard about this recipe, I had to try it.  And tweak it some.


The recipe below is for 4 servings.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion diced
2 ribs of celery diced   (I LOATHE recipes that ask for this--where you need to buy a "bunch for a pinch")
1 tablespoon celery salt   (What the hell is celery salt?)
1 tablespoon hot sauce
black pepper
1 cup tomato sauce   (This is a burger recipe, go ahead and use jarred)
2 lbs ground beef sirloin ground turkey meat
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley chopped dried parsley*
2 tablespoons horseradish
2 palmfuls grill seasoning
4 kaiser or roll of choice
+ low-fat swiss cheese
Preheat Broiler to High.  Preheat a large skillet on Medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

Put a small sauce pan on your range on Medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil.  When it ripples, add the onion and celery and season with salt and pepper.  Add hot sauce and cook until the onion is translucent (while stirring).  Add the tomato sauce and bring to a slight boil.  Lower your heat to Medium-low (or a little lower-like a low plus) simmer while doing the burgers.

Combine your meat, worcestershire, parsley, horseradish and seasoning mix in a bowl.  Make it so the ingredients are all evenly distributed.  Portion your mixture out into 4 equal parts.  Pound out (not "pound", just make) the portions into patties that are about an inch thick.  Push the center of the burger in a little so that it is more shallow than the diameter. 
Add the patties to the skillet and cook each side about 6-8 minutes and flip and repeat.  Add your cheese to melt toward the end.  Toast your rolls in your broiler---WATCH THEM, a broiler can burn bread fast.  Pour your sauce on top of your buger and serve with some sides.

Notes:
This is not for everyone but still damn good even if you don't like Bloody Mary's.  Add some hot sauce or Tabasco upon your burger to up the heat factor.

Tweaks:
I used "regular" salt instead of celery salt (I have no idea what celery salt it.  I'm not saying it doesn't exist, just that I'm not going to buy it.)
I added cheese to the burger.

Healthy tweaks:
I changed the sirloin to turkey meat (slightly less fattening and lower in cholesterol).

Cheats:
*I already had to buy a whole bunch of celery and use almost none of the mass of it.  I didn't want to do it again with the parsely, so I used dried.

Gimme some burger or grilled chicken sandwich recipes!  Send 'em to themaniccheater@gmail.com

No comments: