Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Margarita Cheesecake



This post shows a different tweak: I took the original recipe and made it more complicated....
(What was supposed to be a no-bake pie into a bake-bake cheesecake proper.)

Ingredients:

Crust:
1 1/2  2 cups pretzels finely crushed
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter melted  *unsalted

Pie Filling:
2 3 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese (I used 1 "regular", 1 "low-fat" and 1 "fat-free")
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons 1 shot tequila  (don't be cheap, use a good one)
2 tablespoons 1 shot triple sec
2 3 limes (with the zest of one)
2 drops green food coloring (optional)
1 (8 oz) container whipped topping
+ 3 eggs and 1 yolk
+ 1/4 cup sour cream
+ 1 1/2 cups sugar
+ 2 tablespoons flour

 
Preheat the oven to 350°.

Put the pretzels in a large Ziploc bag (let as much air out as possible) and break them down into fine crumbs using a rolling pin.  Put crumbs into a bowl with the melted butter and the sugar and mix till they all stick together.  Line a 9" spring pan and pressing down tightly.  I use my flat-bottomed 1-cup measuring utensil to get a flat, even surface.  Set aside.

Beat your cream cheese with with a hand mixer and add your eggs one at a time adding some sugar in between.  Add the extra yolk while you continue beating until smooth.  Add your zest, juice, liquor and sour cream.  Follow up by adding the flour.

Spoon the mixture into your pie crust and smooth it out.  Put your pan into the center rack of your oven and bake for 1 hour.

Remove your pan and place on a cooling rack.

Allow to cool and settle some (about 20 minutes) and pop the tin.  Wrap in plastic wrap and pop in the fridge over night.

Sleep.  Eat later.

Notes:
This recipe is, as motioned above, cranked up in the effort department.  I've never been a "non-bake" or "instant" kinda guy.  I took the essence of a no-bake pie recipe and merged it with a stand-by cheesecake recipe I do.

Tweaks:
I took made this from a pie and no-bake recipe to an actual cheesecake and baked it.
I swapped regular salt with unsalted---I mean, c'mon...isn't there enough salt in the pretzels?
I upped the amounts of cream cheese, liquor and limes because there is more stuff in a cheesecake that a pie...and I wanted to taste the tequila.
I got rid of the condensed milk, and whipped topping-I think this is for the "no bake"ness
And food coloring.  Really??
I added eggs, sour cream, sugar and flour for true cheesecake-ness.

Possible Cheats for you:
You can use a food processor to break up the pretzels for the crust.  It would probably have been simpler but, again, I drank while I made this.


Verdict: Success

Definitely Neighbor-worthy

Do you want to be on the mailing list or have recipes you want to share with me?  Contact me at themaniccheater@gmail.com.



No comments: