Tuesday, May 15, 2012



Steak with Roasted Tomato Relish





I took what I thought was a slight risk to suit my own shopping experience on this one (which was a Grilled Steak with Tapenade).  I couldn't get my hands on fresh olives and thought I would do a stand-by recipe of mine for roasted tomato bruschetta with ingredients I already had as a tweak.


Ingredients:
2 lbs flank steak
olive oil
salt and pepper
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1 medium shallot
1 clove garlic 2 cloves garlic diced
1 sprig rosemary
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 lemon halved
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
kosher salt

Heat grill, grill pan on grill-type appliance (like my adored Griddler).  Preheat oven to 400°

Rub your steak on both sides with a good olive oil and scrub with salt and pepper and let sit for about 5 minutes (or longer if you have the time.) 

In a bowl, add you tomatoes, olive oil to coat and salt, pepper and basil.  Toss and place on foil lined, vegetable sprayed (like PAM) cookie sheet and bake in oven for 20 minutes.
Grill steaks for 5-7 minutes on each side (depending on cut) for Medium Rare and allow to cool. 

When tomatoes are done, place them back in the bowl and smash 'em.  Sliced the steak at a slant into several pieces, plate and smother with the tomato mixture.

Notes:
This was a recipe that I eked out a last minute substitution as my planned shopping was thrown off by lack of obtainable ingredients.

Tweaks:
I swapped out the tapenade recipe for a roasted bruscetta mix.

Verdict: Failure


Not Neighbor-worthy.  What an embarrassment and a huge mistake.  Not to mention I hate anything close to rare (unless it's a tar-tar). The steak coulda been fine and the roasted tomato bruscetta mix was great. I should have just made steak and attempted another way to make it a show-piece.
Do you want to be on the mailing list or have recipes you want to share with me?  Contact me at themaniccheater@gmail.com.



No comments: