Sunday, May 6, 2012


Cilantro Salsa and Guacamole




This post shows my take on a salsa that I have made for 5 years (with the necessary use of an over abundant cilantro) and a staple guacamole.


Ingredients:

Salsa:
3-4 cloves garlic
3 jalapeño peppers
1 handful fat leaf parsley chopped
2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped tablespoons dried mint
2 large tomatoes
juice of 1 lemon
salt

Dice garlic and jalapeños on a large cutting board.  Add parsley and cilantro and further chop your ingredients. Chop your tomatoes, adding to the pile and using the flat part of your knife, "flip" or turn your salsa over like a pancake.  When tomatoes are done being added, douse with juice and salt to taste and continue to chop and "flip" until your salsa is very wet.

1 handful cilantro chopped

2 Hass Avocados
1/2 small red onion
1 jalapeño pepper chopped
1 handful cilantro
juice of one lime
salt

Guacamole:
Scoop out your avocado and set your pits aside.  Put half in a bowl or mortar.  Add cilantro, onion, juice and jalapeño.  Top with the other half of avocado and start mashing with either a fork (bowl) or pestle (mortar).  Salt to taste.  Mash until desired creaminess.

Tip:  Put your reserved pits into the finished product to keep the guacamole from browning too quickly. 

Notes:
These recipes are two staples that I do...except for the "cilantro" part of my salsa...I hate wasting ingredients and I hate over-buying: I needed only a little cilantro and because you sometimes HAVE TO buy enough of an ingredient to last a month but only need a little, I thought I'd use the leftover from my guac and tweak my own salsa by making use of the excess.

Tweaks:
Read above for the big tweak based on unfair purchasing sizes/quantities

Cheats:
I couldn't get my hands on a year's worth of fresh mint (or any for that matter), so I had to use dried.

Verdict: Success

Definitely Neighbor-worthy

Do you want to be on the mailing list or have recipes you want to share with me?  Contact me at themaniccheater@gmail.com.



No comments: