Monday, May 14, 2012

Just the Tip-Reader Mail

Stay a Cut Above the Rest-Knife Tips

SIMPLE ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ARE OUT THERE My friend Seth wrote to me a couple of weeks back about knives.  He asked about best sharpening techniques and such.  Obviously, as he pointed out, getting them professionally sharpened works.  I cut corners when I cook (see what I did there?), I'm not very likely to actually travel with my knives to get sharpened.  They do however do it not afar at Chelsea Market once a week if the motivation strikes me (Samurai Knife Sharpening Service is located in front of Bowery Kitchen Supplies on Wednesdays and Saturdays, Noon to 6pm.)

A honing rod is the best way to sharpen your knives.  Those things (no ides what to call 'em) that are the size of a harmonica and have the two stones in them, not as good.  From the research I did, the insides can get warped, chipped, etc without you knowing and actually knick your blades and make them worse.  Bad blades lead to bad slicing and cuts to your hands/fingers.  Cutting stones are good too as you can view the quality of the stone and monitor any flaws in the surface--but a good technique is found or lost depending on the user....I personally would be missing fingers.

This video (that also has other non-knife things following the vid--I got sucked into it and watched tons and tons of other tips) shows how to use the rod as well as simple cutting techniques that I know well and you may not.  Check it out.

Side Note: My favorite knife is the Rachel Ray Gusto Grip Santoku knife.

Do you want to be on the mailing list or have recipes you want to share with me?  Contact me at themaniccheater@gmail.com.

No comments: