Monday, July 16, 2012

Mark's Protein Bars

Verdict: Success
Neighbor-worthy

I have to say I'm actually not fond of Protein Bars...I think they're kinda gross, but like a few other things in posts, I need to try things I don't like and things that are challenging..  And it's that time of year again: bathing suit season.  So for those overly secure people who have their mail sent directly to the gym, good for you and bite me.  For people like my bf (and family) whose superpower is a ridiculously high metabolism, you can bite me as well.  This is more for the rest of us that have to work at it.

Typically this post would have made more sense in May, right when you are in pre-summer crunch time.  As I am a little self involved, I didn't really think about bod issues this year (I had a good winter, tone-wise), and didn't think to make a post with something like this as I personally didn't need it.  But this damn heat-it has hindered my desire to go to the gym and cook for myself.  So that means that, in addition to being idle and skipping the gym more, I am eating out more often and not as healthily.  I'm sure I'm not alone.

While I wasn't sure they existed, I scrounged for some Protein Bar recipes online and found a lot that can help give (if you're a believer) a boost to your work out.  I meshed a bunch together and tweaked, tweaked, tweaked to try something of my own creation...an edible Protein Bar.

Preheat your oven to 350°   Spray a 9x13" baking dish with vegetable spray (like PAM)

Ingredients:
1 cup  quick-cooking oats
1 cup bran cereal
1/4 cup whole-wheat  flour
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
2/3cup dried figs chopped
2/3 cup dried cherries chopped
2/3 cup dried apricot chopped
1/2 cup non-fat condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon chunky peanut butter
2 cups chocolate chips
parchment paper

Put the oats, cereal, flour, walnuts, fruit, cinnamon and ginger in a food processor and "pulse" on low (until coarsely chopped).  Add the honey, peanut butter, milk and eggs and "pulse" until well combined.  (If your FP doesn't fit all the ingredients, split the recipe in half and do it twice).

Put the mixture into your pan and spread evenly.  Bake until a little browned on the border (about 20 minutes).  Cool for 15-20 minutes. Cut into the size you prefer (I aimed for the kind in the stores). 

Lie parchment paper on a platter or cookie sheet. Whisk the chocolate chips* in a small sauce pan on Medium heat until melted and smooth.  Transfer to a small bowl and allow to cool a little.  Dip your bar into the chocolate and turn or flip until all sides are covers....covered, not dripping profusely.  Lie carefully on parchment paper.  Put platter or parchment paper in fridge for 15 minutes to a half an hr. 

Share, serve, or eat and go running or pump iron.

Notes:
I really have no idea why I did this recipe...maybe 'cause heat makes me feel so incredibly gross. 
If it is hot out (like it is here right now), that chocolate will melt-just like a candy bar. And this 'aint no M&M.  It will melt in your hand!

Tweaks:
I tweaked and stole a bunch of recipes to come up with this one.
I added more fruit than usual because I think P Bars are gross to begin with.
The chocolate was my idea.  No recipes I found called for it but all the ones I have ever had are covered in something.  I would've used dark chocolate, as is better for you, but I could get any at store.


How about some other work out things?  Or healthy things....NO SMOOTHIES--I hate them and as banana is my bane  and seems to be the backbone of smoothies, I won't make them.

Send me some  :)  themaniccheater@gmail.com








No comments: