Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Restaurant Review:

Chop Shop

Type: Chinese
Fancy Factor: Casual
Address:  254 10th ave (NYC)
Phone:  212.820.0833
Website: www.chop-shop.co/
Prices: Pricey for Chinese (but worth it)
Recommended? YES

Quick Description: A great small plate Chinese restaurant in West Chelsea that offers a more upper-crust dining experience than the typical Chinese joint.
(Quick note: this is my FIRST written restaurant account, so bare with me.  Do not allow my lack of assured order or focus to reflect on the restaurant---I really wanted Chop Shop to be my first.)


I LOVE WHEN DINING RECOMMENDATIONS FROM FRIENDS ARE FRUITFUL The recommendation to eat at the new Chinese restaurant around the corner from our building was one of these moments.  Our neighbors Amir and Christine urged us to go to frequent the restaurant that opened not to long ago by Danny Emerman and Mah Chan (partners at Bottino, an Italian restaurant that we eat at all the time) with Jason Li and Robert Wu. 

The restaurant is small inside but has an intentionally (or accidental, I don't know) quaint feel to the set-up, not a squeezed-in one.  Stark white (and perfectly dimmed at night) with exposed brick make for a clean, minimalist ambiance which is really great in my opinion.  The open garden in back is also very welcoming but I haven't actually sat back there as I've felt so comfortable in the front which also boasts a small bar.  They just got their liquor license so I will likely find myself having a drink there while I chit-chat with Danny (who I might add has been on site on a number of visits and has, each time, been extremely welcoming and equally charming). 

The Southeast Asian-Chinese menu is very well thought out and offers varied selections of appetizers and small entree dishes.  It has a great menu for a first date or a group of friends that enjoy tasting and passing dishes.  No one will mind sharing at this place as there are so many delicious dishes that you won't feel the need to be selfish with "your" dish.

A selection of our favorites starters include the Summer Roll (a rice paper-wrapped appetizer with shrimp), Salt & Pepper Shrimp (fried shrimp in the shell) and Thai-Glazed St. Louis Spareribs.  I could go on about more but we all know my attention span is not the best (not to mention I would end up just listing all of the appetizers). 

For entrees, we've enjoyed the Braised Short Rib Penang Curry as well as the Chicken Curry which is mild and ideal for the heat-phobic (This isn't shown on the menu--It's a new place, the menu will probably morph a number of times in coming months).  The Pan-Roast Baby Chicken is super-moist and full of flavor and while we have had great success ordering off the enticing specials menu, my fingers can't wait to mention the Spicy Japanese Eggplant.  This dish is so incredibly good, with a drool-inducing, spicy, hoisin flavor, that the bf once made me run out to get it to serve as a side at home accompanying a meal that I had already made.....WORTH IT!  This dish actually inspired me to do this post in July.  Check out the website above for a list of their dishes.

Long and short of this post is that not only do I recommend this restaurant, I will go with you!

Do you have a restaurant recommendation for me?  Send it my way at theManicCheater@gmail.com
 
 
 
 

No comments: