Thursday, September 27, 2012

Write-in Recipe
Chicken Broccoli Crepes


Verdict: Success
Neighbor-worthy
My friend Jen gave me this recipe way back when I first started the blog.  I was intimidated by it and put it off.  Why? For some reason, I cannot do simple things in the kitchen.  I screwed up Steak-ems once and I still can't make rice correctly!  (I know.)
Now, I'm not saying this recipe is easy necessarily.  I put it off because I was scared of a step in it that should be easy....getting the crepe up from the pan and flipping it without ruining it.  I'm not joking.  I have no idea why, but I can't get flat things up (yes, yes...obvious penis joke).  Every time I make an omelette I end up making scrambled eggs 'cause I can't fold it over properly.  Even my pancakes come out weird lately.  I'm getting better in the kitchen in some aspects and regressing in others.

This did end up coming out quite good.  I did tweak some spots that resulted in a meal more suited for me and my bf but I think it is safe to say that it would turn out perfectly fine without my tweaks. 

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter fake butter
1 + 1/4 cup Bisquick (plus more for thickening)
1/2 teaspoon salt 2 teaspoons BACON SALT (Yay!)
1/4 1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 + 3/4 cups milk
2 eggs
2 cups seasoned cooked chicken chopped
1 jar (2oz) diced pimento drained
2 tablespoons snipped chives scallion (I have no idea what "snipped" is, so I finely sliced 'em)
1 lb broccoli cooked and drained (or thawed and nuked)
+ 1 jalapeño chopped (remove the seeds if a heat-phobe)

Crepes
Beat 1 cup bisquick, eggs and 3/4 cups milk in a small bowl until smooth.  Spray a small skillet with vegetable spray (like PAM) and heat on Medium-high heat.  Pour the mixture into the skillet until the pan bottom is covered with a thin covering (barely covering it-you're not making pancakes).  Cook until golden.  Loosen edges with spatula and flip to other side and cook.  Stack your crepes with damp paper towels in between each one as they are finished.

Mix & Meal
Heat the fake butter in a small sauce pan over Medium-high heat until melted.  Add the bisquick, salt and pepper.  Stir until bubbly and add the remaining milk long with salt.  Stir until boiling and allow to bubble for a minute or so.  Add chicken, pepper and  most of your scallion (save some) and lower heat to Medium-low and add a small palmful of bisquick to thicken up your sauce.
Lay out 4 crepes and line the centers with a line of broccoli.  Roll up your crepe and plate 2 per plate, seam down.  Cover the crepe with your sauce and top with some scallion pieces for color.

Notes:
I am glad I did some of the tweaks on this one as I like my creams a little thicker than most and ALWAYS like more spice toi things.
This recipe was a messy one but it was worth it.

Tweaks:
(Just like Jen) I didn't use the pimento part of the original recipe.
I added jalapeño which was a great idea!
I think chives and scallions are the same thing, but the word "chives" makes me think of sour cream and bacon covered baked potatoes (which I love but sounds Fridays or Applebees-y to me).

Healthy Tweaks:
I used fake butter

Cheats:
I used frozen broccoli-thawed, drained and nuked.


We're in fall now...send me some comfort foods: theManicCheater@gmail.com


No comments: