Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Rigatoni
with Marinara, Pesto and Ricotta
(The Effortless Kind)



Kneel to the King:  I started making this dish years ago after having something similar at our favorite pub down the street, The Half King.

Ingredients:
1 lb rigatoni
marinara (use whatever you like-homemade or bottled (if you wanna anger Ma))
pesto *recipe here or used jarred.
part-skim ricotta
2 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese
salt
cinnamon


Easy Explanation: I am using already prepared marinara as well as the pesto that I made a couple of weeks back for my Simple Sandwich recipe and froze. I took it out last night to thaw so that today I could just make an easy meal.

Boil water and add salt to a large pot for your pasta.  Prepare your pasta, al dente, as instructed on your box.  While the pasta cooks, heat up your marinara (I had my marinara left over) If you want it fresh and new, prepare ahead for this recipe before you boil your water.  Take your pesto (jarred or pre-prepared) out of the fridge to allow to come to room-temperature.

When the pasta is done, strain and spritz with a little cold water to make the rigatoni (a little) firm.  Toss, still in the colander, with the romano 'till all are covered with cheese and plate, dish or bowl it.  Cover first with the red sauce, then the pesto and top it off with a spoonful of ricotta.  My family's regional background has sweetness in it's blood, so we always add some cinnamon to our cheeses.  My bf likes it in certain dishes, but not this one so I didn't mix the cheese or anything, I just sprinkled mine with a dusting of flavor.


Notes:
This recipe is one of mine. It is super simple...and uses ingredients that may already be in the house. 
I did use that Pesto I made a while back and froze--it was still amazing!
And btw, when you allow the heat of the sauce to essentially melt the ricotta into the pesto, uhh, so good!.

Cheats:
Though not technically cheats, as this is my recipe and my shortcuts (existing marinara and pesto) were made by me, others can cheat by using jarred sauces.

Verdict: Success

Definitely Neighbor-worthy.

Do you want to be on the mailing list or have recipes you want to share with me?  Contact me at themaniccheater@gmail.com.



No comments: